|– If not already done, soil sample and apply fertilizer as needed. |
– Plant perennial grasses and legumes. Consider using a novel endophyte tall fescue.
– Harvest hay as needed. Do NOT harvest alfalfa after mid-September.
– Scout pastures, identify perennial weeds and woody brush. Consult an agricultural professional to determine the control strategy.
– Closely monitor livestock and do NOT overgraze. Pasture plants accumulate energy reserves in the fall that help them overwinter and regrow in the spring.
– Feed hay to allow pastures to stockpile for winter grazing.
– Rest native warm-season grass fields until after frost for better winter survival.