Keeping Forage-Livestock producers in Kentucky informed
- Continue grazing available summer annuals (millets, sorghum/Sudangrass, crabgrass, etc.).
- Apply 40-60 lb N/A to stimulate summer annual regrowth.
- Clip pastures late June/early July as needed to maintain vegetative growth and to reduce weed seeds, but don’t clip lower than 4”.
- Identify fescue pastures for stockpiling. Choose pastures that are well drained, have a strong sod, and have not been overgrazed.
- Soil test pastures to determine fertility needs.
- Using UK variety trial results, select varieties to plant in the fall and order seed.
- Use a designated sacrifice lot to feed livestock hay and supplements as needed if drought sets in and no forage is available for grazing.