Keeping Forage-Livestock producers in Kentucky informed
- Continue hay harvests. Minimize storage losses by storing hay under cover.
- Clip pastures for weeds and seedheads as needed.
- Slow rotation allowing for a longer recovery period.
- Use portable fencing to decrease paddock size and increase paddock number.
- Do NOT graze below the 3-4 inches.
- When present, johnsongrass can provide high quality summer forage when managed.
- Crabgrass, a warm-season annual grass, can provide high quality summer grazing. If crabgrass is desired, remember it needs some annual soil disturbance to keep coming back.
- Begin grazing native warm-season grasses. Start at 18-20” and stop at 8-10 inches.