Keeping Forage-Livestock producers in Kentucky informed
- Continue pasture renovation by no-tilling seeding legumes. Frost seeding becomes more and more risky with every day that we have above freezing.
- Place small seed at 1/4 to 1/2 inch deep and check depth several times during planting; slow down for more precise seeding.
- Continue feeding hay until adequate forage exists in the pasture for grazing.
- Spring seeding of grasses should be done in early to mid-March (but fall is preferred).
- Begin smoothing and re-seeding hay feeding and heavy traffic areas.
- Graze pastures overseeded with clover to reduce competition from existing grasses. *Pull off before grazing new clover plants.
- Provide free choice high-magnesium mineral to prevent grass tetany on lush spring growth.