Keeping Forage-Livestock producers in Kentucky informed
- Begin utilizing stockpiled pastures. Graze pastures with orchardgrass and clovers first. Save tall fescue pastures for late winter grazing.
- Using polywire, strip graze stockpiled pastures to improve Utilization. Start at the water source and allocate enough forage to for 2-3 days. Back fencing is not necessary.
- Make plans to frost seed red and white clover onto closely grazed tall fescue pastures in February.
- Some hay can be fed as stockpiled grass is grazed to stretch grasss.
- Begin hay feeding as stockpiled forage is used up.
- Supplement hay as needed.
- Minimizing waste by utilizing ring feeders.