In a recent series included in Farmers Pride, Dr. Jimmy Henning spelled out 12 habits of highly successful forage producers:
1) Knowing their soil resource
2) Making sound soil fertility decisions
3) Effectively managing tall fescue
4) Having a well distributed water system
5) Balancing forage utilization intensity with animal requirements
6) Having a workable rotational grazing system
7) Use effective establishment practices
8) Have long grazing seasons
9) Manage for clover
10) Understand clover dynamics in pasture
11) Understand the importance of hay testing
12) Invest in themselves.
~ Dr. Jimmy Henning. You can find the full articles by subscribing to The Farmer’s Pride.