Here are a few tips to ensure you have the best chance of getting clover established from a frost seeding.
1) Get a current soil test, and apply the needed lime and nutrients.
2) Choose an improved variety with known performance and genetics. Go to the UK Forage Website for the latest results.
3) Seed 6-8 lbs red clover and 1-2 lbs of white/ladino clover per acre.
4) Make sure seed lands on bare soil. The biggest cause of seeding failure with frost seedings is too much ground cover.
5) Get good seed soil contact with a no-till drill with packer wheels or a corrugated roller cultipacker.
6) Control competition when the grass starts growing.